The History of RAF Blakehill
In 1943 the UK government requisitioned 580 acres of land to create an airfield by compulsory purchase.
The airfield was named RAF Blakehill, taken from the name of the farm that once stood at the top of the hill to the south of the airfield.
The ruins of the farm house, yard and buildings are still situated on the hill on private land.RAF Blakehill was one of three airfields (the others being Broadwell and Down Ampney) to be constructed north of Swindon to house No. 46 Group, the RAF formation that brought together the tactical air transport squadrons that were to support the army in the planned invasion of Europe.