This creamware jug, created for a member of the Habgood family in the mid eighteenth century, is a beautiful object of historic importance. The jug was donated to the museum by brothers Eric and Roger Cripps and their sister Edna Edwards. Habgood and Cripps are names which appear frequently in Latton’s and Cricklade’s public records.
About creamware: Foremost of the pioneers of creamware in the Potteries was Thomas Whieldon. He has become associated almost exclusively with tortoiseshell creamware, but in fact he produced a wide variety of creamware. He first mentions ‘Cream Colour’ in 1749.
The young Josiah Wedgwood partnered with Thomas Whieldon from 1754 to 1759 and after Wedgwood had left to set up independently at Ivy House, he immediately directed his efforts to the development of creamware.
Wedgwood improved creamware by introducing china clay into both a pot’s body and glaze and so was able to produce creamware of a much paler colour, which was lighter and stronger and more delicately worked, perfecting the techniques by about 1770.